<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, September 25, 2005

I have so many conflicting emotions these days about the development. Altho I'm in awe of how beautifully the houses are coming together, especially Galusha as it enters the end game of finishes, I keep coming up against a lot of negativity -- however warranted -- from neighbors.

First there was the neighbor who sent the op-ed into the paper, which the letters editor promptly forwarded to me, asking, "Is she talking about your development?" I'll paste it at the end of this post just for kicks, bad grammar and facts and all. It's her sentiment that's of interest.

Then, today, a neighbor in the house to the south came to ride the builder and me about the plan for the concrete driveway between our houses. He said he was ready to up and move and likened buying their bungalow to a "big mistake." It made me sad and frustrated because I've tried to be as upfront, accessible, and sensitive as possible.

Earlier this week I got a complaint for another neighbor about construction noise that started at 5 a.m. that I'm pretty sure wasn't even our project.

So, everyone (including me) is getting nervy over the traffic and the mess overall. It is the last few months of a project that began in earnest about a year ago.

Plus, I'm trying to keep up my optimism for selling! One idea I have lately is try to go FSBO for first few weeks, then list it if I get impatient.

I wonder if there's huge hurdles standing in the way of a final certificate of occupancy.

Here's the op-ed, followed by the architect's response:

"For submission:
 
"When I voted in favor of retaining the urban growth boundary so many years ago, I understood that meant I was voting against urban sprawl and for condensed living with its eventual companion, more traffic. 
 
"I was okay with that as long as it meant retaining our farmlands and not building strip malls all the way to the coast.
 
"I also understood that condensed living meant new housing units springing up in our oldest neighborhoods, some in areas of Portland which have oversized lots.
 
"The influx of condos on the west side of the Willamette is nothing new.  What is new is the proliferation of row houses and lofts appearing, as if overnight, on the eastside.  Like an invasive weed, condensed living has taken root, on both sides of the river. 
 
"Some long-time homeowners have sold-out or have been gently-persuaded by one means or another, to move out. Oftentimes, the old house is razed and in its place, a trio of houses is built.  Developers know, "If you build it, they will come". 
 
"In spite of a weak economy and a dysfunctional tax structure, our region is growing.  People continue moving to Oregon. 
 
"I was still okay with condensed living until recently when it spread to my neighborhood, hitting too close to home.  Admittedly, I have a NIMBY attitude.  This year I witnessed dual units being built two streets away.  
 
"One savvy homeowner who came into a windfall did what any savvy homeowner who comes into a windfall, would do: bought the bungalow next door and proceeded to have plans drawn up for a flag lot with two new units behind the two existing homes.
 
"From the start, many neighbors were displeased but I tried to refrain from passing judgment.  I saw this as one citizen taking advantage of personal circumstances to secure a future nest egg.  Isn't that the American way?
 
"I reminded myself this is the definition of condensed living and I voted for it.  I wasn't alarmed; that is, until I saw the design of these new homes: essentially, both boxy with flat tops.  Ach!
 
"In my neighborhood, most houses were constructed in the 1920's.  It's easy to see the classic American bungalow-style dominates the area.  Even easier to see is that the contemporary architecture of these two new homes is so very out-of-place. 
 
"There oughta be a 'law of aesthetics' which states that new homes/ condos/ lofts or rowhouses constructed in old Portland neighborhoods conform designs to fit within existing surroundings.  
 
"Apparently, the homeowner-turned-developer was not concerned about fitting in.  Surrounded by A-frame houses, there now sits two big boxes which resemble a retail complex and stick out like a sore thumb!
 
"Condensed living is here, whether we like it or not.  I'm not so sure anymore."

And here's what the architect said:

"Discourse like ______'s is pernicious and pointless. Its like spitting at somebody in a rain storm. Its a safe, toothless way to express dislike in the absence of the strength required to actually affect change. If she thinks 'There oughta be a 'law of aesthetics' ', then let her pursue the process of implementing a design overlay that will preserve her precious bungalow neighborhood. Until she's ready and able to do anything other than spout her opinion, she can spout all she likes. Anybody other than those stuck with a fundamentalist approach to the evolution of the built environment say your development is refreshing and new. The contrast of old and new makes the fabric of the neighborhood stronger and more interesting. She professes homogeneity. Wouldn't it be great if we all had the same color skin and lived in the same kind of house and went to work in the same kind of building and ate the same food? No.
 
"Es macht nichts. It means nothing. Red herring."

Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?