<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

By all accounts -- and especially the multistate, multiprofessional color committee -- Galusha's paint looks awesome. Now the pressure's on to make Mabel as eye-pleasing, but different.

It's crazy, but as I realize I'm over the hump with the minidevelopment, I've actually caught myself thinking, What will I do with myself when this is done? Look at how much free time I'll have! Look at all the $ I'll have freed up ... for ... what? For once in a long time, I don't have a Next Thing lined up (unless you count Operation Boyfriend, over which a temporary chill has settled, but that's a whole other blog).

Helping me explore this quandary is the fact and fruition of the bindery space, which already feels like a perfect spot for classes, workshops, slide shows, lectures, or whatever. It looks like a space from which the next dream could be launched.

Further digression, tho tangential: Looking in the mirror, I notice this newer layer of age. Grok God and I joked about the "Berth Announcement" we sent out for the groundbreaking last August, when I laughed that I would be having twins. Houses, that is. Now it occurs to me -- with all due respect to hardship of pregnancy, labor, and parenthood in general -- that this process is indeed a birthing. And then I think of all my friends who've had children; with their first one, you can see how the features in their faces seem to cement into place.

Don't get me wrong: I love cement, having just seen a creamy palette of it poured into the first floor of Mabel. The wrinkles will come; the only worry now is making sure they turn up in the right places.

In the meantime, I go a little nuts with the multitasking. On Sunday on the massage table, I couldn't quiet the running stream of must-dos: Call the cabinetmaker to give OK on bamboo, get lighting designer lined up for the challenge of bindery lighting, where can I get samples of ebony stain? and what if the landscape architect's gone AWOL?

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?