<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Why'd I know this would happen?

Architect calls this morning to say the dumbwaiter's done. That is, because it wasn't on the drawings, it didn't make it into the brains of the framers. Imagine that.

Anyway, I guess I'm over it. I think this whole process wears down every whim one can have so you end up with, yes, a dream house -- but it's always gonna be missing something. Like the dang dumbwaiter!

Can you tell I'm ready for vacation? With the crew's attention turned to Mabel, I expect there will be a lot of changes once I get back. It has finally stopped raining, so Galusha gets a chance to dry and, therefore, be sheetrocked.

Lighting continues to bug me, but I guess that'll be true til the fixtures are installed and the switches flipped. It occurs to me the lighting industry's like some big cabal. Everything costs hundreds of dollars, and where there's a range, say, for steplights, there are ugly cheapos at $20 apiece and then there's stuff from Italy at $200-plus. Basically, as a customer, you can call the bluff, by standing at the counter and wondering pathetically, "Gosh, there's _got_ to be something in between the two choices ... " And voila, someone says, Oh, check that catalog over there; seems like it had something ...

All this for $65 steplights.

I expect the same for every specialty fixture outside of the cans.

Luckily, I pleaded for a lighting designer to help me, but even she can't say what things cost and, of course, she can't outright order them either.

Plumbing seems so easy now.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?