<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Walking out of the title office this morning, I swear I heard a chorus of angels heralding the close of the Mabel loan. I can't say how many phone calls went into the deal, but I do know it took 2 banks and about eight months of meetings to make it happen. What a relief, tho: Now not only have I broken ground, it appears I'll have the money to pay for it and continue! Onward and upward.

The concrete guy comes tomorrow to start building the forms. The excavator brought in a ton of gravel so the lots aren't mud flats anymore, and the holes where Mabel and Galusha will rise look like little mazes, showing where the footings and walls will go.

The architect and I finished up the exterior electrical plan last week, and then I woke up all worried yesterday morning, wondering if the doorbells had been accounted for. There are so many details to building from scratch, and it's funny: You never notice, walking into a house, that everything's just there already. But you bet you'd notice if it wasn't.

Over New Year's I picked up house numbers in Paris. I love the big fat Bodoni typeface and that color blue that can either look totally classy or groovy Mediterranean. Either way, it's fitting my vision of Mabel and Galusha as an internationally flavored complex. But since there were no four-digit configurations I had to go for "36" and "17," which I'll have to stack. The architect seemed to be warming to the ploy, but he's still worried for the mailman.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?