<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

It's a good thing I was practically born with a paint scraper in my hand, because the Pirate's house -- which I now call Construction HQ -- is tapping all my home-improvement skills. People ask what I did on the weekends, and I have to rack my brain, because these days it's just a seemingly uninterrupted stream of painting, cleaning, staining, varnishing, mowing the lawns, talking with contractors, and so on. Not that I'm complaining: I'm meeting a ton of interesting people and enjoying the physical and karmic turnabout of Construction HQ. For the latter, my neighbors have offered a smudging.

The good news is that with new, painted trim in place of the yucky baseboard heaters I have now completed two rooms so I can start moving things over. I met with my real estate agent Friday, and we're on a tight schedule getting the other house to market.

More good news: Our old family friend, Roy, son of my mom's college buddy, stops by the office last week. I ask what he's doing for work these days, and it turns out he subcontracts for the builder I interviewed a couple weeks ago. I liked that builder right off, because he reminded me of my brother and I felt at ease with him immediately.

Last week I spent two hours at George Morlan picking out fixtures and more time this morning deliberating over marmoleum and formica for the new kitchen. I was a little bummed that the wacky "newspaper" pattern of formica isn't on offer anymore, because it's fun choosing all these bold finishes that I know I won't have to live with forever. I think that's partly why I didn't second-guess the Grok God when he picked deep-sea "ethereal" blue for the living room ceiling and everywhere in the dining room. Of course, I try not to second-guess the Grok God on anything.

The kitchen was demo-ed to the studs last week, and boy does it look a lot better than the grossness that was there before. Even that weird old guy smell is lifting. One cool artificact that surfaced: a hammer with the initials M.F.B. carefully carved into it. Mabel's hammer! She lives on in my toolbox.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?