<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, April 05, 2004

I spoke a little too soon in my last post about smiling every time I leave the architects' office, because Friday's meeting with the architect (#1 in my Tenpod troika, I suppose) left me a little dispirited. We put together our first pro forma on the project, and we kept ending up with a price for Mabel that's significantly more than I thought it would be. Even #1 Tenpodder was a bit miffed.

After thinking these deals would somehow earn me a heavily discounted, or even free (hahaha), house, and that I could eventually stop working for the man, I now realize I'll probably end up with a mortgage similar to what I was carrying before the refi.

It certainly gives me pause, and a chance to wonder whether it's worth it. Conversely, I've consoled myself a bit by saying I get my dream house for half the price. Or perhaps there's another angle I need to consider that'll serve up more cheer.

I could stay in one of the crumbling bungalows, to be sure, but I like making things happen, and building satisfies that urge. Construction is like bookbinding writ large; there's body (materials), there's soul (design), and the challenge is making them fit together seamlessly.

I put my fence and the Pirate's shed on craigslist and, poof, there they went. Now I can actually walk onto my back deck and check out the half acre, like I'm the mayor.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?