<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Vacation's over, but Buenos Aires sticks with me: the taxis swarming up Avenida 9 de Julio, the sleepy tree-lined streets of Palermo, and the cobblestone sidewalks lining rows of artful structures, with just enough decrepitude to keep things interesting.

The city has all the best of Europe mixed with a distinctive South American wide-openness. There are ornate buildings -- some imported directly from France block by block -- and there are those that are deliciously, futuristically simple. Under some shabby exteriors of peeling paint, steps worn down under the scrape of countless feet, and wrought-iron railings dulled by decades of rain, dust and sun, everything nevertheless exudes Quality. It speaks of materials and the craftsmanship.

Now that I'm about to embark on the programming for Mabel and Galusha, I'm thinking a lot about such things. For a while I was taken with the idea of copying Ricarda's beautiful Lunallena guesthouse, where we stayed in BsAs, but now I'm just trying to figure out what elements make it so beautiful.

The good news is: On Sunday, there was a massive dumpster in my neighbor's front yard, and he was chucking things into it all night. Better him than me; I'll have my hands full just making the plumbing and wiring upgrades and scrubbing the place clean. Also, the best news yet: I've picked my architect, who actually comes along as sort of a package deal with a design collective that works a half block from my house. From their office, they willl get to see Mabel and Galusha rising.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?