<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

I know I should be focused on the more serious and long-term project of new construction, but right now every minute goes to fixing up the Pirate's house to make it livable. The Pirate stayed there 17 years, and you can bet not one day of it was spent cleaning house. I filled 2 vacuum cleaner bags of dirt and dust bunnies, _after_ sweeping and washing down the walls. Now it's TSP time in preparation for putting up some paint.

In all this drudge work, I've found a few nifty relics. Sometime around 1936, Galusha let roll a wheat penny and a (now retro) Rainier bottle cap into a crevice between the walls and floorboards — also a receptacle for Mabel's numerous hairpins. The Pirate left some rifle instructions, too, as reminder of the ammunition depot that was his house.

Programming continues for the new places. Today I received a much-sought copy of Stefanos Polyzoides' "Courtyard Housing in Los Angeles," and I dig it. A lot of it applies to warm weather climates but there is plenty in there re conscious use of interior-exterior space that appeals to me. My meeting with the architect happens Friday so I have a couple days to meditate on the book.

The Mabel and Galusha crew increases exponentially every week: Monday I hired the surveyors, yesterday a handywoman (for the Pirate's place), and a posse of folks is modifying my current place for sale soon. It looks like it all might actually happen. Cross fingers.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?