<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, February 12, 2004

Already I can sense that the decision on the architect will likely be the biggest one I'll make, after the decision to buy the land itself. On the latter, I still sometimes get these fleeting moments of What the Hell Am I Doing? But then I think of the synergy: that I've wanted to do this forever; that I've kept a clipping file for years on neat houses, tips on buying land, etc.; that it's a challenge I need; that it is in my own back yard; and that beautiful, well-designed spaces can set things right in one's more interior, mental spaces. For example: Scripps. The beautiful surroundings made my life there better and, I like to think, me better.

I've narrowed the architect list to three, and it seems the decision might come down to the even split in my tastes for both modern and classical. Are the preferences necessarily conflicting? Yesterday I was showing my colleague pictures of the hotel (a house, really) where we'll stay in Buenos Aires: www.milonguita.de/02-02-Argentinien/Ricarda. It looks like a combination of cool and comfortable; of course, it helps it's one of these grand houses in a venerable neighborhood, so the bones are solid and steeped in Old South America with Euro leanings. I love the little wrought-iron porches; they recall romance and Rapunzel.

The lawyer left a message yesterday, and I had to smile. He's perplexed by the same lack of straight answers I encountered with regard to utilities' easement needs. I think of Dickens' Circumlocution Office, except the people you talk to here in Portland really are friendly and willing to help. They just don't want to divulge any magic numbers. More likely, it's that the magic numbers don't exist -- until, of course, an easement plan is put in front of them and it may be determined to be "too small" or simply "not right." Maybe I should plot it with a Ouija board.

As busy as my mind is with getting Mabel and Galusha going, about all I can think about lately is finally fixing the drainage issues on my current house. I woke up agonizing about the size of the gravel I'll need and how much of it, as well as how big the holes should be in the perforated pipe. One thing's for sure: I can't wait to get rid of the five-year headache. It could be as soon as this weekend!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?